At brief meeting with Peter Pennekamp and Rollin Richmond regarding progress in the pushing broadband development in rural areas, I was encouraged by the direct, action oriented disscusion. Some of the items covered included:
- Efforts to streamline state regulations and permitting that would slow down any fiber build out
- The formation of a rural telecom sug-committee that will inform the Task Force
- A report that’s due at the end of February that will offer specific actions at the state level
- Continued discussion on regional cooperation to get the alternate fiber done
- Money for the alternate fiber may be easy to raise
While this is all still at the talking phase, the talk is active and pointed in the right direction. It’s encouraging. The next few months should tell us if anything will come of it.